Lawrence G Lenke, MD
Lawrence Lenke, MD is one of the world's foremost leaders in spinal deformity surgery. His world-renowned practice is devoted exclusively to spinal deformity surgery with an emphasis on complex reconstructive surgery in both children and adults for the treatment of various spinal deformities such as scoliosis, kyphosis, flatback syndrome, and other major spinal imbalances, as well as spondylolisthesis. He is generally regarded as the premier spinal deformity surgeon in the world, having developed the classification system for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis (AIS), to which his name is now attached.
After receiving his undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame and his MD from Northwestern University Medical School, Dr. Lenke completed his internship and residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery at Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University School of Medicine. While at Washington University, he also completed his fellowship training in pediatric and adult orthopedic spine surgery.
Dr. Lenke has been listed in America's Top Doctors for the past 10 years and Best Doctors in America the past 15 years. Dr. Lenke was honored with the North American Spine Society’s 2013 Leon Wiltse Award for excellence in leadership and/or clinical research in spine care. Also in 2013, Dr. Lenke was listed in Orthopedics This Week as one of “The Top 28 Spine Surgeons in North America.” He served as president of the Scoliosis Research Society 2010-2011, the oldest and most prestigious spine society in the world; its single focus is the advancement of care in patients with spinal deformity. As a reflection of his preeminent surgical skills, he has hosted over 700 spinal surgeons from around the globe to observe his surgeries in the past 15 years.
Dr. Lenke’s prolific academic career includes writing over 360 published peer-reviewed manuscripts, editing five textbooks on Spinal Surgery, writing more than 125 textbook chapters, chairing over 100 Spinal Surgery meetings and having been an invited Visiting Professor domestically and internationally more than 100 times.
- Surgeon-in-Chief, The Spine Hospital at NewYork-Presbyterian/Allen
- Chief, Spine Division, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Co-Director, Adult and Pediatric Comprehensive Spine Fellowship
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian Allen Hospital
Schedule an Appointment
- NYP Employee Plan
- NY Signature
- Signature Administrators
- Student Health
- Great West
- Medicare Managed Care
Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
Oxford Health Plans
- Columbia University Employee Plan
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- MD, 1986 Northwestern University Medical School
- Internship: Barnes Jewish Hospital/Washington University
- Residency: Barnes Jewish Hospital/Washington University
- Residency: 1991 Shriners Hospital for Children
- Fellowship: Barnes Jewish Hospital/Washington University
- Orthopedic Surgery